ALAC to iTunes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Troller24 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Peter B
    Hi there,
    I can't add the songs I downloaded in ALAC with Free YouTube to MP3 to my iTunes library.
    Does anyone know a solution or have the same problem?

Troller24
    Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I feel like having to make some things clear to the developers of the audio converter. As much as I love the program, there are some basic facts that the developers seem to have not yet understood about audio files.
    So, i think it is clear to everyone who reads this that if you have for example a *.wav file and want to make a mp3 file from it, it is not enough to simply rename the file and put a .mp3 at the end of it: the file will be unreadable for any program you try to play it on. This is because you changed the FILE EXTENSION to .mp3, but the CODEC the file is based on remained unchanged (in this case, the Waveform Audio File Format). Let's keep in mind that these two terms have different meanings.
    The fact that I can't simply rename the file to have a completely different file format is even the whole reason to use a converter. But renaming a file's extension is not always a problem: a quck look on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding) reveals that many different file extensions suit the AAC codec, even the extension .m4a...
    But wait, a user of the Free Audio Converter can choose between two seemingly different "Qualities" named AAC and M4A! Well, have another look on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m4a "The only official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4, but many have other extensions, most commonly .m4a and .m4p. M4A (audio only) is often compressed using AAC encoding (lossy), but can also be in Apple Lossless format." And that's the whole point the developers didn't learn about: M4A or MP4 is a CONTAINER FORMAT which suits multiple formats and NOT an audio codec!
    I really wonder if the converter was even tested for all the offered codecs, because an ALAC file with the file extension .alac is completely useless!! No wonder Nikky thought that iTunes was not compatible with the Apple (!) Lossless Audio codec. The files put out of the converter must have the extension *.m4a to be played by any program. Please fix this, dear devs!
    By the time an update comes out, you as a user are stuck by renaming the wrong file extensions manually, but I would recommend using a Batch file for the job. For this, create a new text file in the folder your .alac files are in, then copy this text in:

@echo off
    ren *.alac *.m4a

Save the file as a .bat file in the same folder (no converter needed, I promise ;) ). Now you simply have to double click on it, and the job is done! Your Apple Lossless files are ready to use.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't want to leave any open questions. I already tried to explain the issue on twitter, but your guy there didn't understand my problem. I hope this post explained it good enough, and I hope an update will come soon!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.