Installer spam

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TZO2K15 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

karbengo
    Participant
    Hello, I've been using DvDvideoSoft Free studio for months without incident.

3 days ago, my computer began to open instances of the Installer without my command. The pattern is weird too, every time I start my computer, it opens and instance, then several working hours later it opens height instance at once, even though I already had free studio installed.

I've tried unistalling FreeStudio and deleting all associated files on my computer, but I must have missed something because the installer keeps popping up. I also have done a complete scan with Avast! antivirus with no results.

Please help, I love the free studio toolset but this is shaking my trust.

Simon Norris
    @karbengo - I'm in the same position as you are and came here to find if there was a fix.

Even when the FreeStudio is installed it trys to install again.

The other thing that happens when I cancel the install is that I'm sent to a web page which Norton blocks as being a known suspect eb page.

karbengo
    Participant
    When I uninstall, my browser opens to a page with a questionnaire asking for the reason I uninstalled. It doesn't trip avast! antivirus in any way. I just tough this was just a normal thing but I need confirmation now.

Simon Norris
    I'm getting the warnings when I cancel the install - the software is already installed yet it randomly (at start up but also while my PC is up and running) starts about eight install windows.

I've run msconfig to see if there is anything in there (on the startup tab) but there is none.

What is annoying is that these pop-ups can happen when I'm in the middle of an on-line gaming battle and I keep getting thrown back to the deskop.

Windows 7 install, Windows is up-to-date and based in the UK.

Clearly this product has left some crap on my system which it should not have done.

edited: When I installed the product I elected to do a custom install and only installed the components that I wanted. I presume this may be the cause of these problems (or it may not be).

Simon Norris
    Why are you deleting the posts after the one done by Mikki 3 days ago?

karbengo
    Participant

Thank you Simon. I’ve started following your instructions but I have yet to do a safe mode clean-up. I’ll probably do that later this day. Btw, I also have a similar dubious list of “serial numbers” like yours on my C folder. Never figured out where it came from or what it means really and it sometimes worries me.

Mikki
    Hi Guys. Thanks for all reports. The reported problem seems to depends on particular PC configuration, or another software installed on each computer. Our tech team is trying to find solution/instruction for solving this problem. Thanks for supporting us!

Simon Norris
    The only reason I tried a 'safe mode' clean up was that some of the files and folders that I fond were in use when in normal mode.

I was puzzled at how the software kept on setting up entries to install itself - at the start I thought it was a scheduled task. It may have been that file called 'Simon' that did it but I can't be sure.

Whatever I did may have been a single delete or some combination of files and folders removed.

My PC has fewer temp files lieing around at the moment!

karbengo
    Participant

It’s 18h25 and the installer spam stopped happening. I deleted the “Simon” file in my c:user folder (mine was named Ben) and the installer does not pop up anymore, not at Windows start, not at 18h20. I believe my computer is cured now, so thanks a lot Simon, and Happy New Year! 🙂

However, I am unsure if I want to install Free Studio again if this kind of shenanigan is not fixed…

Simon Norris
    karlbengo - I've been using the software to download videos (not short clips but motor races that take a few hours each) off YouTube for a few years now - I convert them and watch them on my Kindle Fire HD which I attach to my TV - I can't always be bothered to sit and watch them on my PC.

Although the software is not currently installed I expect to do so again in the future.

Now we know how to stop this 'install loop' from happening it's fairly easy to stop it happening in the future. Unless something changes and we have to find a new way to resolve this.

The best place to post such technical problems may well be away from this forum.....

Happy New year to you too and enjoy not having that install starting at inconvenient times!

Jacek.D
    Participant
    Hi Simon! Thank you for your help! It worked however, as I said in my previous post, I'm not the professionalist in IT so it took me a while. At my computer this tmp file was called Documents.tmp. I'm working with Windows XP. The file was not installed in Users folder but in C:/Windows/Temp in different folders containing this Documents.tmp . I had to use Safe Mode to be able to remove this files. I had to remove as well the file called "Documents" in folder C: . With such a name for the file ("Documents") it seems for me, as an amateur, to be already rather puzzling.
    And, by the way, I would like to ask Administrators why do they have removed my previous post in this forum where I asked for help in this subject?
    Simon, once again, thank you and Happy New Year, even though few days later and with some my language mistakes for sure :)

mtpowell
    Hey guys I registered just to share on this topic. I was having the same issues and finally got fed up and traced down all the file paths. From my experience and what other have posted it seems to be an issue with a file that's created under c:users. Mine was GAME, I'm guessing because this computer is labeled Game Room. I didn't have to boot into safe mode to delete the file...but it's because I spent about 30 minutes tracing the file processes and shutting them down 1 by 1. In the end I ended the processes, cleared out the Temp and Prefetch folders, deleted the GAME file in c:users, emptied the trash can, rebooted and no spam. I would suggest find the name of the file, seems to be computer name or part of, and boot into safe mode and delete that file out of c:users.

Mikki

Hi Guys. Thanks for all reports. We are working on this "install loop" now. I hope we can fix it soon.

Chris Poppe
    Participant
    HEY, I FOUND OUT HOW TO FIX IT

I had the same issue yesterday, and i found the files that open the installer everytime i start my computer.

Go to:
    C:UsersGrisje PoppeAppDataLocalNVIDIANvBackendApplicationOntology

Delete the files:
    OAWrapper.exe
    NvOAWrapperCache.exe

Worked for me! :)
    Hope it works.

Mikki
    Thanks for your feedback Chris!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.